Monday, August 06, 2007

review. i need some comments.



so, the campus crit is done.
over.

as co-promoter it was a stressful day, that ended a stressful week, after a busy few months.
but everything worked out fine in the end.
(once we figured out how to try to corral the hundreds of gawkers on the backside of the course).

the weather was great, the atmosphere was great, and the racers were great.
we got some much much needed help from some very great bike scene locals that really stepped up to help keep the event safe.

we owe them big time.

mark stwert, ben and joe dubay, many of the junior racers, ped, and others came through for us without hesitation. thanks a million guys!

anyways, this was lgr's first time hosting an event as a team.
i think it went well.

i don't think any other race will ever be as much of a challenge as this one was, with all the added traffic.

normally this course requires 1 marshall on the backside (e. river road).

for your reference, yesterday we needed 7.

we tried some new ideas, and i think it went well.
we offered alot of race options for people, we offered alot of $$$ in primes, we tried to make the races a bit longer than usual, we tried to payout in almost every race, and we tried to throw one hellovarace.



i would like to hear your story.
please give us some feedback.

what was your take?
how was the registration? smooth? not?
did you pre-reg? how was that?
were the races run well?
too long? too short?
how the the primes work out? well? terrible?
did you, or your team change from the "standard crit plan" because of the primes?
should we do them again next year?
why weren't the 1/2/3 women in attendance?
was there a convention we didn't know about?
how was the organization, from an outside prospective?
is there another bridge in the area scheduled to fall down anytime next year?
let me know!

help us improve this race.

thanks again for coming out!

only 10-15 more racers and we'd have broke even!
woo-hoo!

7 comments:

StevenCX said...

The race was awesome! Great course, well-organized especially for a first race, good recruitment of volunteers, great encouragement for beginners and women. There was an issue with my pre-registration that may have been my own fault, but it's awesome that it's offered - no lines at the registration table! I don't know how much prize money attracts people vs. bragging rights, but that could have been the difference between break-even and losing money.

Anonymous said...

Great race. Registration: Very smooth. I did pre-reg. It saves so much hassle. Why doesn't everyone? Run well? Very well. Too long or too short? I thought too short, but I just finished Superweek, and those 100km crits started to bore me. So maybe that's a question of perspective. Lots of primes at the end was neat, but it'd be nice to have one or two at other points in the race or one or two for the field too. Not much incentive for them in the end. Team plans? I wish I would have had teammates there. That would have been nice. More attendance would indeed be nice. We'll just try to spread the word even better next year, and hopefully this year's running start will help too. I love the way people asked me before my race from where they could best see the bridge. (Seriously: That was almost morbid). Organization was excellent. Really. Zero complaints on that. I only wish there had been more racers out there. I'll try to make my own voice louder in the weeks leading up to the race next year too!

Trissel said...

Thanks for doing this race. Sorry we didn't have bigger numbers out there for you guys.

My favorite change up from the other crits was having the longer races.

I pre-regged and it was totally smooth and beautiful.

Super Rookie said...

that tim hayes guy was amazing.

...

seth. thanks for the ideas. i think a few field primes would really mess it up for next time.

that could be cool. like last 10laps and then then two or three primes for during the race! brilliant.

keep the suggestions coming!

Skibby said...

thanks for all the races, I raced for 60 minutes! don't tell anyone it took me 3 races :)

Lynne said...

I've only got 9 crits under my belt, but I *can* say the pre-reg was really appealing. I'd probably have skipped it and missed what turned out to be my favorite course so far if not for pre-reg. I think some of the lack of women's turnout had to do with the time trial the day before? Also, thanks for making it part of the Women's Made Real-I was still off the back, but at least I got to line up with other 4's instead of the 1/2/3's! Maybe that was part of why you had a pretty good women's Cat 4 turnout (so far, most of the races I've tried have scored the 4's seperate but done a mass start, which is not as much fun)? Anyway, see you next year.

Anonymous said...

I know of at least 3 women who would have been there had we not been at the FH 50 the day before.
From what I heard the course was great and if participation was down i would look at who stayed up North for the day sunday, not at what you didnt do or could'a done!
Hope to make it next year.
Thanks for all the hard work.
Julia