Sunday, November 18, 2007

state cx, from the sideline. part one.


since i was not competing it really didn't matter much who won and lost... but, there was some seriously amazing competition out there.

sure, somebody crossed the line first, but saturday, i was searching for the real winner;
i was searching for the best socks.

so, who did it looking the snazziest? who was able to overcome the elements and throw in some flair on the coldest race of the season, (besides maybe durand)?


first, allow me set the scene;


place: state cx, bassett creek park.

scene: a cold cruel day, stiff cool breeze with a smokey scent from the many fire pits, and an off-camber hill with a bad attitude.

sock competition: fierce in the b fields, lackluster in the a's.

the top competitors:


wooly, warm, and smart. but stylish enough to win?


tall socks. always a favorite, stylish and warm, showcases the knee.


though not technically socks, white booties are always an excellent choice.


more tall socks... no wait! our first disqualification! this is no sock, it's a slipped leg warmer!


good use of color, adding a nice flair to a normally blah kit. the fuzziness and silver shoe gives a nice moon boot look. fantastic.


stripes were the major theme this season, capitalizing on that, and adding a great accessory in the glasses, (what i like to refer to as "dan swanson's"), the glory is going to go to kyia, who was obviously there to win!

congratulations! you earned it.

part two, coming soon!

(all photos from skinnyski.com)

6 comments:

Lunatic Biker said...

I'm pissed that my argyle socks don't even get a mention. Fucker.

StevenCX said...

Dammit, if I'd know there was a contest I would have worn my lucky socks on the outside of my tights!

Kyia said...

I am honored to take the title! Luckily for myself I visited Revolution Cycle and Ski the night before and picked up those stylin socks (good plug eh?)! They did keep the tootsies toasty!

(dis)pencer said...

ray, the judges didn't see any photographic evidence of your alledged socks...
if you can prove it, i'll give you 3rd place, (after the moon boots).

Lynne said...

Those aren't white booties; those ARE socks. I didn't believe it, so checked at Rum River. They are sport socks over the top of his shoes. So what place does Lavick get now?

OTR said...

Who "crapped out"? My brittle bones made it out there but I am now closer to the bodybag.